LinkedIn continue to update its user interface – or in plain language – the layout of your profile. After a major redesign in the late summer of 2017, another is on it’s way and being rolled out gradually to users. It is still in the very early stages of roll-out and as soon as it reaches my profile, I will be updating this article with further information and guidance.
The new design is only for desktop (your PC or Mac), and the mobile/tablet design will remain unchanged for now. This in itself creates a few challenges, mainly for the cover image on your personal profile as it will need to accommodate your profile photo both centrally for the mobile app and left aligned for the new design for your desktop.
I don’t yet have the new design on my own profile however, from the screenshots I’ve seen shared on LinkedIn, these are the key changes:
- The Profile Photo which is currently centrally placed will be left aligned and slightly larger in size
- The Headline and Location will also be left aligned and will sit directly beneath the Profile Photo
- Contact Details section will move from the right of the profile and become an integral part of the top section. These details will sit directly beneath the Cover Image on the right. This is a positive move as it means the reader will be able to see how to contact you without moving to a different section of your profile
- There will be more text of the Summary section visible, currently you only see two lines before you have to click the Show more to expand the section
- Media items (photos, video, links) currently located at the bottom of the Summary section will also be visible before expanding the Summary as you currently have to do
From what I’ve seen, the new user interface looks much cleaner and provides more information in the top section than we currently have. I am pleased to see that Contact details have been brought into the top section too and that there is more of the Summary available to read. The new design will however affect the Cover Image…
Like many people, I have a Cover Image that is designed to fit well with the location of my Profile Photo. As the Profile Photo will soon be left aligned and not placed centrally as it is currently, I will need to redesign my Cover Image as it won’t work with the new user interface.
Remember though that the Mobile/Tablet versions of LinkedIn are not changing (yet). So I must make sure that my Cover Image is compatible with both designs.
If you are working with a Graphic Designer to design your own Cover Image, please make sure they are aware of the imminent changes and design your Cover Image to suit both desktop and mobile versions of LinkedIn.
Keep up to date with changes in LinkedIn
It seems to be almost every week that new features and changes are implemented in LinkedIn. To keep up to date with the new features, and see relevant articles, tips and short videos, please Follow Linda Huckle Training on LinkedIn